top of page


Authentic Atocha Shipwreck Coins set in handcrafted 14k and 18k gold mounts. Pendants masterfully made to keep treasured artifacts close to your heart.


A stunning collection of Atocha Shipwreck Coins is available. Mel Fisher's exploration and discovery of the Atocha Shipwreck resulted in one of the largest treasure hauls ever recovered, including 2, 4, and 8 reales silver cobs. We are New York-based private investors who have acquired artifacts from the Atocha Shipwreck from the original owners, investors, and employees of Mel Fisher's expedition over the last ten years. Each Atocha coin is guaranteed to be genuine. You will have the chance to acquire a piece of this tragic yet beautiful history contained within exquisitely crafted Gold bezels.

Atocha Coin 2 Reales Lima Mint Shipwreck Treasure




Atocha Feed



Genuine Coins from Mel Fisher's Treasure Salvors Inc. with coveted original COAs and/or tags From the Atocha, which sank in 1622 west of Key West, Florida.


Atocha Coins of the highest caliber and rarity. In connection to the nature of the historical treasure, the values indicated are consistent with the realities of an irreplaceable inventory.


Free Fedex Shipping in the US! (Estimated Delivery 2-3 Business Days).


14-day "Satisfaction Guaranteed" return period. Original packaging and all contents must be included in the same state as when they were shipped. Shipment back is covered by the buyer.


Stunning collection of beautiful handcrafted jewelry featuring some of the best Atocha Coins on the market.


We accept Paypal, Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Discover, Bitcoin and Wire Transfers.

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 11.32.15
Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 11.32.15
Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 11.32.15


Spanish settlement in the New World spread quickly; by the late 1500s, Potosi, Lima, and Mexico City had populations greater than those of the largest Spanish cities. The major colonial cities of North America—Boston, Philadelphia, and New York—would not be established for another 50 years or so. Huge swaths of land were allotted to colonists so they could grow tobacco, coffee, and other goods to ship to the mainland. However, the silver and gold mines on the continent were more significant to the throne because they were essential to Spain's future development. There was a well-established framework for trade with the colonies. From 1561 to 1748, two fleets each year were dispatched to the New World. Supply ships arrived at the port with the silver, gold, and agricultural products for the return to Spain.


Early in the year, the fleets set out from Cadiz, Spain, roughly following the path that Christopher Columbus had travelled earlier. The two fleets would separate once they reached the Caribbean, with the Tierra Firme Fleet sailing on to Portobello in Panama and the Nueva España Fleet continuing on to Veracruz, Mexico. Here, the ships' cargo of silver and gold was carried onboard after being unloaded. The separate fleets reunited in Havana for the return voyage and took the Gulf Stream north along the Florida coast before turning east when they reached the same latitude as Spain. The two biggest challenges that the treasure fleets had to overcome were the weather and pirates. The expedition was timed for an earlier departure because it was well known that the storm season started in late July. Each fleet had two strongly armed guard galleons to help deter pirate attacks. The Capitana the name of the leading ship. The other galleon, known as the Almiranta, was supposed to trail after. The Nuestra Señora de Atocha, a newly built 110-foot galleon, was chosen to serve as the Tierra Firme Fleet's Almiranta.


The Atocha and the Tierra Firme Fleet set off from Spain on March 23, 1622, and after making a brief stop at the Caribbean island of Dominica, went on to the Colombian port city of Cartagena, where they arrived in Portobello on May 24.  From Panama City, a port on the pacific side of the Isthmus, treasure from Lima and Potosi continued to arrive by mule train. Recording and loading the Atocha's cargo in preparation for departure would take close to two months. In order to meet the fleet coming back from Veracruz, the Tierra Firme Fleet finally sailed to Havana via Cartagena on July 22. The newly created mints at Santa Fe de Bogotá and here in Cartagena provided the Atocha with an additional cargo load of treasure, much of it gold and rare first-year output silver. Before the fleet arrived in Havana, the storm season had already begun in late August.


The Atocha carried a complete company of 82 infantrymen as a military escort to protect the ship against attack and potential hostile boarding. She carried a staggering amount of the fleet's treasure as a result, making her the vessel of choice for wealthy travelers. Unfortunately, she was powerless against the powers of nature despite the use of fire. The choice was made to go on a voyage to Spain on Sunday, September 4th, when the weather conditions were nearly ideal. The combined fleet's twenty-eight ships raised their anchors and moved in a straight line northward toward the Florida Keys and the powerful Gulf Stream current. The Atocha took up its designated position in the back, sitting low due to its hefty cargo. By evening, the wind had picked up. Because of the tremendous seas before dawn, almost everyone was below deck, either seasick or in prayer. The majority of the fleet entered the Gulf of Mexico's relatively safe waters after the wind turned to the south throughout the course of the following day, passing by the Dry Tortugas.


The Atocha, Santa Margarita, Nuestra Señora del Rosario, and two smaller ships were all at the back of the convoy and were all adversely affected by the storm. The ships sailed blindly in the direction of the reefs, their masts and tillers shattered or broken, their sails and rigging reduced to tatters. All five ships perished, with the Atocha being brutally slammed onto a coral reef after being carried high by a wave. She quickly submerged after being dragged to the bottom by her massive loot and cannon load. Five Atocha survivors were still clinging to the ship's mizzenmast the following day when a small merchant ship navigating through the wreckage rescued them. They were the only survivors among the 265 passengers and crew. Salvage efforts started right away. In 55 feet of water, the Atocha was discovered with the top of its mast clearly visible. Divers who could only hold their breath made recovery attempts but failed to open the hatches. They tagged the location and kept looking for the other wrecks.


The Rosario, which was discovered in shallow water and was quite simple to salvage, could not be found. A second hurricane tore the upper hull structure and masts from the ship while the salvagers were in Havana getting the tools they needed to recover the Atocha's wealth. When they came back, the wreck was nowhere to be located, and attempts at salvage over the following ten years were fruitless. However, the Santa Margarita was found in 1626, and during the following few years, most of her cargo was rescued. But over time, events and time wore away memories of the Atocha. The Archives of the Indies in Seville, Spain finally received copies of the ship's register and written accounts of the time. These records, like the treasure itself, were destined to languish in obscurity for generations, waiting for the ideal set of conditions. During the twentieth century, technology advanced significantly. One of the most important developments for the Atocha happened in 1942 when Jacques-Ives Cousteau, a French navy lieutenant, created the self-contained underwater breathing apparatus, or Scuba. Divers were able to spend more time submerged because to it. Near Vero Beach, Florida, eight wrecks from the Spanish treasure fleet of 1715 were found thanks in part to Scuba diving.


Real Eight Corporation's highly known 1960s salvage operation sparked a previously unheard-of level of interest in Spanish colonial shipwreck salvage, which is still present today. Mel Fisher and others were drawn into the field and along the Atocha's route as a result of this event. After taking part in the 1715 fleet salvage operation, Mel established a business called Treasure Salvors and started looking seriously for the much-discussed Atocha. His work from 1970 through 1986, spanning sixteen years, is a book unto itself. However, this ultimately led to the discovery of the Atocha on July 20, 1985, with her hull laying in 55 feet of water, exactly as noted by the first salvagers in 1622, and the Santa Margarita in 1980.

Atochas Logo 2_edited.jpg
bottom of page